RISC-V International, a global open hardware standards organization, has announced the debut of the Open Hardware Diversity Alliance. The global Alliance, created by CHIPS Alliance, OpenPOWER Foundation, RISC-V, and Western Digital, will develop and provide learning and networking programs, mentorship opportunities and inclusive environments across the expansive ecosystem of open hardware. The Alliance will be focused on supporting professional advancement and encouraging equal participation for women and underrepresented individuals in the community.
“Communities benefit from a diverse set of ideas from the broad community. RISC-V is working to build, share, and support these inclusive opportunities by bringing new talent and ways of thinking to the open hardware community,” shared Kim McMahon, Director of Visibility and Community Engagement at RISC-V. “The Open Hardware Diversity Alliance will set the course for inclusivity in the open hardware community by building programs and diversity that inspires creativity and drives innovation.”
The Alliance aims to fill the gaps and create opportunities to improve career development in open hardware design by providing underrepresented individuals with the necessary steps and fostering inclusive environments. By providing a supportive community, the program will help to drive professional growth, empower the development of technical careers, encourage the recognition of all ideas in technical innovations and support career growth.
Programs planned to support the personal and career goals of women and underrepresented individuals in the open hardware community include:
- Expanding their voice in all activities through strategic recruiting and welcoming activities.
- Raising their profile by highlighting and publishing their achievements.
- Providing tools to build confidence, support career growth, participate in leadership, speak at events and grow community presence.
- Supporting visibility goals through coaching and amplification of individual efforts.
- Providing networking opportunities to support their visibility and growth goals.