Qualcomm Technologies has introduced its first augmented reality (AR) reference design based on the Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ XR1 Platform, equipped to deliver high-performance, immersive experiences, and lower power consumption. The reference design is an AR smart viewer with versatility to tether to a compatible smartphone, Windows PC, or processing puck and is optimized for devices powered by Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ Platforms.
The smart viewer has processing in the reference design to help distribute computing workloads between the viewer and the host device, compared to an AR simple viewer which does not have any processing on the viewer. The AR smart viewer reference design packs significant performance features and premium use cases for both the enterprise and consumers, including:
- Split-processing that enables the AR smart viewer’s on-device optimizations to deliver a 30% reduction in overall power consumption on the system.
- The 2D app framework provides a systems-level feature that helps launch smartphone applications into multiple virtual displays that can be anchored within the user’s environment. The framework also supports protected content viewing to watch premium movies and streaming services with the smart viewer.
- Tethering to a PC, the smart viewer combines plane detection and the ability to render multiple virtual displays to allow virtual PC windows to be anchored to planes in the real world.
- Support for an 8MB RGB camera with image stabilization on the smart viewer delivers hands-free, “See What I See” use cases like remote assistance.
- Dual monochrome cameras on the smart viewer enable six- degrees of freedom (6DoF) head tracking and hand tracking with gesture recognition.