Keeping updates as small as possible reduces distribution time and cost, update transmission time, and memory required on automotive ECUs. Efficient differential updates are important for a successful, production-grade automotive OTA solution. Edge Sync is a modular, end-to-end OTA update and software lifecycle management solution that allows fast, safe, and secure updates to software and firmware.
Edge Sync differential system technology includes:
• Patch streaming: Stream smaller chunks of updates when memory on the target ECU is insufficient to store the full differential update
• Patching in place: Optimize for low memory/performance ECUs, enabling the application of the update within a single active memory partition
• A/B updates: Write to a secondary, inactive memory partition to apply the patch
• Pause and resume: Allow the installation to be paused and resumed from exactly where it left off, eliminating the need to restart from scratch
• Reduced memory footprint of software client: Configurable software client that enables optimization for resource-constrained environments, including adding/removing functionality as needed to support only the relevant use cases for a given ECU