The new reference design was developed in collaboration with Novatek Microelectronics Corporation and designed by Systemtec Corporation Ltd. It includes a camera image sensor (CIS) board with phase-detection autofocus (PDAF), and a high-performance image signal processing (ISP) board along with auto focus zoom lens software.
The new reference design provides 4K resolution, superior colour imaging and better recognition accuracy of objects. This includes small objects in low-light conditions. The camera’s high-speed autofocus operation can also be achieved with low-cost lenses. The combination of these features allows Systemtec to provide a high-performance 4K video security camera reference design and software to cut the required development time to build a camera system with fast autofocus and enhanced imaging performance.
“An ever-increasing demand for security and surveillance camera systems drives the need for better object detection and recognition capabilities with higher imaging accuracy,” said DK Singh, Director, Systems and Solutions Team at Renesas. “Our surveillance camera with 4K resolution and PDAF function can deliver much faster autofocus results compared with conventional contrast-detection autofocus. We are excited that our close collaboration with Novatek and Systemtec makes this surveillance system reference design more accessible for customers worldwide.”
The reference design is built around Renesas’ RAA462113FYL CMOS image sensor and Novatek’s dual-core image signal processor SoC. The surveillance camera reference design also uses other Renesas ICs that address the signal chain electrical functions. For example, the CIS board features the RAA462113FYL, DC/DC buck converters, LDOs, motor driver and lens. The ISP board uses the SoC and associated signal chain components.
Camera Sensor Board:
• CMOS image sensor with high-sensitivity, low-noise, low-power with high resolution 8M pixels for UHD
• Sensor features HDR, PDAF functions and MIPI-CSI2 output, which support 30fps @12-bit digital output
• Enables the exchange to fixed-focus lens as well as zoom lens
Image Signal Processor Board:
• 800 MHz dual core SoC image signal processor with sensor interface and interfaces for display, PHY, Wi-Fi module, GPS, and RS-485
• RTC, I2C, SPI, GPIO, audio IF, Flash/SD card, HDMI, Ethernet, SDIO, SCI, UART and SDRAM controller
• High-accuracy and fast AF with support for contrast AF, PDAF, and hybrid AF (PDAF + contrast AF)
• Flexible and rich functions including 12V power supply (DC jack or Type C), multi-interface support for video output