The IMG A-Series is designed for the graphics and compute needs of next-generation devices for automotive, AIoT, and computing through to DTV/STB/OTT, mobile and servers. The series features a range of architectures that provide from 1 pixel per clock (PPC) for the entry-level market, up to 2 TFLOP cores for performance devices, and beyond that for multi-core solutions.
At the same clock speed and process node, the IMG A-Series offers 2.5x the performance, 8x faster machine learning processing and 60% lower power than current PowerVR devices. IMG A-Series is already licensed for multiple markets and the first SoC devices are expected in 2020.
The A-Series is available in configurations:
• IMG AXT-64-2048 for flagship performance; 2.0 TFLOPS, 64 Gpixels and 8 TOPS of AI performance
• IMG AXT-48-1536 for premium mobile; 1.5 TFLOPS, 48 Gpixels and 6 TOPS
• IMG AXT-32-1024 for high-performance mobile and automotive; 1 TFLOPs, 32 Gpixels and 4 TOPS
• IMG AXT-16-512 for high-mid-performance mobile and automotive; 0.5 TFLOPS, 16 Gpixels and 2 TOPS
• IMG AXM-8-256 for mid-range mobile; 0.25 TFLOPS, 8 Gpixels and 1 TOPS
For lower cost segments IMG A-Series delivers the best in area, cost and efficiency:
• IMG AXE-2-16 for premium IoT, entry DTV/STB, display and other fillrate driven applications; 2 PPC, 16 GFLOPS and 2 Gpixels
• IMG AXE-1-16 for entry-level mobile and IoT and the fastest Vulkan-capable GPU in its class; 1 PPC, 16 GFLOPS and 1 Gpixels
IMG A-Series’ PowerVR architecture provides bandwidth and power advantage because its tile-based deferred rendering technology means it only draws what is visible on screen. This is combined with advanced direct flexible power signalling using Pro-Active DVFS (Dynamic Voltage and Frequency Scaling) and Deadline Scheduling algorithms, which deliver fast power control with ultra-low latency response. The parts of the GPU that aren’t fully utilised or needed for processing, are slowed down or even put to sleep to ensure optimal power efficiency.
PowerVR’s flexible firmware based low-latency DVFS algorithms offer a direct GPIO control path into the system. This is combined with a strong focus on delivering visually impeccable pixels via visually lossless PVRIC compression and completely reworked anisotropic sampling and level of detail algorithms.
The IMG A-Series features Imagination’s HyperLane technology; individual hardware control lanes, each isolated in memory, enabling different tasks to be submitted to the GPU simultaneously for secure GPU multitasking. With Dynamic Performance Control, the GPU can spread its performance across multiple tasks, executing them all, while maximising GPU utilisation. Priority HyperLanes deliver a dynamic split; for example, prioritising graphics and delivering all the required performance for that application while an AI task runs alongside using the remaining performance. HyperLane technology can also isolate protected content for rights management. HyperLane also enables a new feature, AI Synergy. Through AI Synergy the GPU delivers graphics performance, while using its spare resource to enable programmable AI alongside a fixed-function, highly-optimised neural network accelerator.